Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day.


Today I'm getting together with family to celebrate my Mother

and my Grandmother.


and I should call my paternal grandmother, too,



and probably facebook my step mother.


Some interesting reading for Mother's Day involving Mother's role in education and childhood from all across the globe:
 The Heavyweight Girls of Manipur, by Thingnam Anjulika Samom, an article that links a mother's social status and literacy to a decrease in feeding girls less than their brothers during food scarcity in India.  

Building Better Kids by Kevin Drum, a Mother Jones article that discusses the link between a child's academic achievement and the education of the child's mother.


The Importance of Tang Dynasty Mothers to the Family Education by Haiwen Guo and Zuoliang Wang. 


Mother's Education and Child Health: Is There a Nurturing Effect?  by Yuyu Chen and Hongbin Li.



and because I prefer reading and writing when there is constant noise in the background: 


Leadbelly "Mother's Blues"


"Motherless Children Have a Hard Time" by Blind Willie Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment