Thursday, April 7, 2011

A REAL letter to JCC.

Well, I thought I'd write my final discussion topic on WEB Du Bois for African American Literature but now I am leaning towards Ida B Wells-Barnett.  I have to admit, I'm actually a little nervous sending this letter especially since transcripts and official records get sent from the school straight to the university that I so desperately want to attend but injustice is injustice is injustice and I cannot be a good student or a good teacher without being a good person and citizen.  

Dear Jackson Community College,

I was recently notified that I would be receiving a Recognition in Learning Award which I was very excited to hear.  Overall, I've had a great experience at Jackson Community College and the professors are overwhelmingly wonderful teachers who are obviously dedicated to helping their students, and who would not tolerate harassment and discrimination in their classroom.  That is why it deeply saddens me to be sending both a "thank you" card and a letter of complaint. 

I am deeply disturbed over the news concerning the lawsuit against JCC.  I understand that this occurred shortly after the Arizona shooting.  I also understand that JCC is in an impossible situation where acting too quickly means overreacting and failing to act -- should something happen -- means the public blames you.  But in my opinion, what happened to Michael Oliver is shameful from beginning to end.  

First, I want to address a comment that was made by a JCC instructor which, according the paper, was a confirmed comment.  As a white person who grew up in a surrounding rural community, I can tell you that Francis Street is most definitely code word for "Black."  Any comment I ever heard about Francis Street growing up was derogatory and based on it being a predominately Black and poor area of Jackson.  I also understand that if you grow up hearing said comments you may accept those statements without question.  Now that I actually live near Francis Street, I have walked the street and even used the city bus stop to go to JCC.  I find that it is a street, like any other street, minus swimming pools and predominately white faces.  Is it full of "bad, bad people."  Absolutely not!  Is there crime?  Yes -- show me a street that is free of crime and I will pull open a stained glass door to reveal the worst crime that occurs behind closed doors on EVERY and ANY street.  Racism aside, I do not believe it would be appropriate for a professor to denigrate any area which your students could possibly live in.  I do not believe there is any place for derogatory comments about Francis Street in a government subsidized classroom. This is not only illegal but also a violation of your own policies explained in the document "Student Rights and Responsibilities Code of Conduct."

Secondly, when I was a child I remember my sister, my brother, and I playing with a piece of rope and I tied it into a noose and gave it to my annoying little brother.  My father immediately made me untie it, scolded me, and stressed how dangerous it could be.  It was not something I would repeat.  So when I read of the news of the lawsuit against JCC I was a little shocked over details that claim adult students would consistently tie their ropes into nooses.  I would think that insurance concerns alone would make this a punishable offense.  Then, to read that a noose was placed on a Black students desk is HORRIFYING.  If there was ever anyone who should be taken in for a mental evaluation, suffer through the humiliation of handcuffing and a strip search, it is the disturbed individual who would use the threat of lynching against a Black man.     

But take heart, because I can say that I am righteously disgusted over this not in spite of you, JCC, but BECAUSE of you.  I have had multiple amazing professors here who have taught my white ass all about the history of racism and oppression in our nation.  So my suggestion to take the proper action necessary to keep this from ever happening again is to do what you do best: EDUCATE. 

If a student or professor lets these things fly make them attend some of the courses I have.  Currently, I'm enrolled in African American Literature and while I considered myself generally well versed in American racism it has completely opened my eyes to the history of lynching.  Anyone who could find these students actions "childish" or harmless would do a 180 if they studied the literary works of the courageous Ida B. Wells-Barnett or if they viewed the horrific photos of lynchings that once circulated as postcards amongst your Average Joes of the time.  These are truly disturbing images of huge mobs of smiling -- photogenic, white people -- men and women -- who were proud to be watching gruesome murders of Black men -- looking as if they were attending the city fair.  But this isn't just about Black men because as Ida Wells-Barnett documented, women and even young girls were brutally lynched as well. 

What I also know from my time at JCC is that these lynchings didn't go away on their own.  It was through the brave action and appeals of activists who fought for legal protections.  Sadly, it is only fear of the law that keeps many people from forming lynch mobs today.  (Yet, violent race based hate crimes still persist and are even on the rise against Middle Easterners and Muslims.)  That is why swift and sound action must be taken to ensure that this never happens again. 

If you choose to err on the side of caution when it comes to encounters that leave you feeling "uneasy" then please be consistent about it and treat threats made to students just as seriously, and placing a noose on someone's desk is most definitely a violent threat.  Also, if you want to live up to providing a student with the freedom to learn that you promise you must also address the racist comments directed at Mr. Oliver.  But before banning a racist student from campus or dismissing a staff member, please offer them the chance to redeem themselves through education because so many of them could seriously use it and you certainly have the resources.  

I plan on applying to a four year university after completing the 2011 Fall Semester.  I want to leave on a high note, championing your school to my nephew, young cousins, and future students.  I want to continue my studies and eventually make JCC proud to have had me as a student. 

Please, consider doing me the same honor. 

With all due respect and admiration,
your student,

The College Dropout.   

No comments:

Post a Comment