Monday, April 11, 2011

A dropout's Do's and Dont's of Distance Learning.

I recently read an article about high school kids having to take a distance learning course before graduating.  I'm not sure how this is supposed to be helpful since every class I've ever had presents its own unique challenges based not only on the teacher's style but also the format of the class and where information is scattered throughout the website.  But, I figure, distance learning is the future so I ought to give it some thought.  I hear from every teacher that nothing prepares you for teaching like being in the classroom.  Well, I've been a student in a classroom for long enough to develop fine lines in my forehead so I think I should consider what I've learned.  

The Chronicle spends a lot of time discussing Distance Learning.  These are the articles I try to skim but usually just close because, honestly, nothing sounds more boring or like a bigger waste of time than a professor telling me whether or not I learn well online.

Generally, I've considered distance learning a necessary evil.   I believe in them because they allow me to take classes I could never take otherwise.  And by "distance learning" I mean the kind of online courses offered by public schools, specifically JCC, but definitely not a for profit college because I wouldn't touch a for profit college with a ten foot pole. 

I'm certainly not anti technology.  When I was a teenager my love of web design and instant messenger caused me to meet a brilliant gorgeous lesbian techie from a town over who happened to be reading the same book I was and who would keep my interest in computers alive for quite some time.  In later years my interest turned more towards programming.

So, I'm not afraid of computers, but there are limitations.  By examining my worst classes and my best I think I can up with a model that works better than most of the courses I've seen.  

One of the biggest problems I have with distance learning is how difficult it is to sustain a dialogue.  The fact is, every time I ask a question the answer will probably cause me to ask another question.  This becomes very difficult if you're relying on forum postings.  And in a more difficult course I can become very discouraged.  Basically, it's like trying to talk with a ball gag in your mouth.  Things get lost in translation and what's the point?  Surrender, resistance is futile.      

The Worst

The worst distance learning course I ever took at JCC was more than five years ago and maaaaan DISTANCE was the right word for it.  It consisted of a professor uploading a syllabus that told students what chapters to read, what dates the TWO tests were on, and what books to buy.  One of the books was an expensive study guide but the only reason why it was necessary is because, in addition to the two exams, we were assigned very short simple essays.  However, the questions we had to answer were in the study guide.  I'm talking a total of four questions.  Not enough text to take up a page in that book.  So I was spending a ton of money on something that I could have easily gotten for free had the professor decided just to assign the topics like most professors would.  And I didn't need the study guide because the multiple choice exam was OPEN BOOK WITH NOTES.  So, an easy A.

There were no discussions, not even introductions, there was absolutely nothing except for list of chapters and test dates. 

This was an elective class so I took it to actually learn something.  Plus, online classes cost more money than in person classes but what I was getting I could have gotten from the library for free. 

What really bothered me was that I knew people who had this professor in person and they described some of the fun activities they did, or the wild discussions, and this professor wasn't doing any of that for us. 

For some foolish reason I later took another course with this professor, mainly because I really wanted the course, and it was ran the exact same way.  That was my bad. 

The Middle of the Road

The middle of the road courses involve discussions, typically required participation in forum postings.  Once upon a time someone told me that they preferred online literature courses because he didn't have to look at a student who hadn't read the material, silent and expressionless.  It's true, if you're looking for a more democratic classroom or a classroom where you can be sure everyone participates then online learning is for you.  There is definitely a lot of value in these discussions but they still leave something to be desired.  If you're looking to get by in a class then you won't mind this so much, but if you're really interested in the subject matter you will be endlessly frustrated. 

The Best

One of the best courses I've ever had was, shockingly enough, a math class.  I had taken a math course with the same professor years ago and it wasn't great.  But I have to hand it to the math department, they've been rocking their shit because now they're utilizing youtube and Scribid.   Now, I know lecturing isn't very popular right now.  The whole idea of a professor pontificating and a student passively receiving the information may leave something to be desired.  But I want a lecture!  I miss them!  Okay, if you speak in a monotone voice and you're utterly bored with what you're teaching PLEASE DON'T LECTURE!!!!  But if you're passionate about what you teach then give a passionate lecture once in awhile!  Passion is infectious!  It's engaging!  People are drawn to passion like a moth to a flame.  Ok, so you'll probably never see anything like The Dead Poet's Society, but somewhere out there will be a student who was nodding off, suddenly opening his or her ears and an open mind will follow.

So, while I didn't see math teachers standing on desks and panting about logarithms they did use some of this technology to lecture and explain problems.  Professor Jody Rooney would put on an in person study group before each exam but then also do one online for anyone who couldn't make it.  She used Scribid and we were either supposed to ask questions via microphone or through a chat feature.  It was EXTREMELY helpful.

Another model that I enjoyed was Professor D. Agy's Short Story and Novel course.  Like Rooney, she utilized different forms of technology to maximum advantage.  We were required to check out certain websites to give us background information on literature (racism at the time the author wrote a story, anxiety around WWII, etc.) and she always provided the links under the threat of "I can tell whether or not you click on them!!" so you can be sure I was clicking on them.  She also did mini lectures through powerpoint and she used voice recordings.  Of course we had our normal discussion posts, though I would say that the topics didn't generate much discussion because of what we were required to do, but more on that in a future entry. 

The other thing she did that I really liked was that she required us to engage in chatroom chats with a maximum of three students for a minimum of 30 minutes.  Of course, they always went over because there was so much to cover.  It was an interesting approach that I hadn't seen before because most classes require you to work individually.  I usually like individual work, there's nothing more annoying than being tied to a group that's bringing you down, but I liked what she was trying to do.  And sometimes I learned something and considered something I wouldn't have on my own and I wouldn't have considered had we not been able to discuss it in a way that people do when they are actually having a conversation. 



I've seen other classes come close to these models, attempting to enhance learning by adding visuals and background information along with text and I like that but I don't think they do it nearly enough.

To me, the best online course would be one that includes audio and visual learning.  Not only reading, but also using pictures when appropriate.  It would involve a chat feature between students but even occasionally with a professor where students ask to have something elaborated on.  This could be before tests or at the end of a chapter.  It could be just once or twice a semester, still it'd be something.   

A Dropout's Vision:

Thinking about this has inspired me to make a model for a class.  I know, I know, I know, high school teachers don't actually get that much freedom in what or how they teach, I have been told this by frustrated and former teachers but for this exercise I am going to pretend that anything is possible.  I am going to make an EPIC online class.  What am I going to do with it?  Who the hell knows. Maybe I'll find a way to present it in the portfolio that I send out to colleges (whether or not that ends up in the trash is another story) or maybe it'll give me some ideas for what I am going to propose to a professor in the fall all in an attempt to get a letter of recommendation because. . . while learning is it's own reward I have to keep my eye on the bottom line.

So, to be continued.  .  .

No comments:

Post a Comment