Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I would like to thank the academy . . .



I was going to preempt my college evaluations with a very pissed off blog entry concerning recent events involving a Detroit family and some seriously overreaching child protection policies but am delaying it due to the amount of overtime I've been working plus an unfortunate business known as "homework." 

However . . .
when I came home today I was feeling exhausted from work -- not to mention seriously sleep deprived because of the fight outside that woke me up this morning, among other things -- feeling like my last essay for English was shit, wondering if my lunch break posting even made sense or just rambled on, angry about the Detroit situation, upset looking at the surrounding home foreclosures (knowing that Jackson Affordable Housing's funding has been cut), and then I get the mail expecting the usual junk, but instead I received notification that I will soon be the recipient of a Recognition in Learning Award!!!!!!!!!!!

And actually, I was thinking of asking this professor for a letter of recommendation but then I started to talk myself out of it, figuring that he wouldn't even remember me by the time I'd ask for it.   But. . . maybe I was wrong.

I used to not care about awards, or maybe I just let the peculiar sense of shame I get when I receive one from take hold of me, but now I've come to see that awards matter because they matter to everyone else.  So, it'll look good on a transcript and lawd knows I need all the help I can get.

So, shortly before the ceremony, I am promised a new co worker who will help save me from this hot mess of work, but it's an external hire and I won't know what that'll mean or if I'll be free that night or not.  But either way I need to send a thank you card. At first I considered an email but then I remembered that Thank You cards are classy shit.  Of course my handwriting is awful, and I think cutting and pasting letters from magazines would make it look more like a ransom note and really bring the whole "classy" part down. 

So . . . either I'll buy two cards and practice slowly writing like an adult woman rather than an angry five year old  OR I'll ask my coworker/friend with good penmanship to write it for me. 

Speaking of dishonesty, I recently read an article that claims 82 % of college admissions boards will stalk your facebook.  Mine's on private -- plus I kinda hate facebook -- but when I read that I figured that when I apply I'll make all intelligent posts public and start taking pictures where I wear glasses.  Except, I don't wear glasses so I decided that would be a little too dishonest, but fortunately it's now abundantly clear that I am in desperate need of reading glasses.  As soon as I can get time off of work I will be heading straight to an optometrist (for now I am just pounding bottles of aspirin). 

So, could my failing eyesight be a favor from the universe?  I think so!

Unfortunately there will still be the problem of limiting friends' responses to my Uber-Intelligent status updates to the following:

"Interesting."
"You're such a nerd/bookworm."
"Wow, your awesome mind power could level a small city."
No more "dork" insults.  That just doesn't imply enough intelligence.  


So much work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment