Monday, September 26, 2011

Recipes for Success

Whoopie Pie with coconut frosting filling


So, I've been tasked to chair my group's committee for our annual charity fundraiser at work.  I'm so excited that I will finally have so much control over the campaign.  I'm also excited that we broke away from our usual group where only two people decide what we're going to do without asking for anyone else's input.  Inevitably, they can't do it all by themselves, and it becomes a disorganized mess, and they never try and engage and excite anyone else into action.  I mean, it's bad enough that it's ran like a dictatorship, but an incompetent dictatorship just doesn't make sense.  

But this year will be different.  This year I am bringing everyone on board.

So far I've asked everyone's opinions, taken notes, complimented people, and I even baked cookies to bring to the committee meeting.  One of the managers in the group repeatedly made remarks about her pay and perks being less than the manager who's our competition, so I think I can channel her hostility and frustration into something wonderful.  This time around everyone will be heard and we will crush the competition like a Ritz cracker beneath my boot!!!!  

Also, I finally finished something to give to my professor.  Unfortunately, I ran out of time to make a coffee cake, the cranberry orange bread didn't turn out too well, and by the time I had to leave for work my brownies were still too undercooked or warm or something.  (This new oven will take some getting used to.)  So, I only sent peanut butter filled whoopie pies and chocolate chip cookies with sea salt.  I also sent a card which looked pretty horrible because I re opened after forgetting to put the Mat's gift card in with it.  So. . . I ripped the envelope through the middle and taped it.  Also, I wrote the card with a pencil.  Also, I ran out of space on the card.  Also, I was ten minutes late to work so I was kinda in a rush.

Later I took my lunch break at work and made a phone call to the school.  The conference with the accreditors that visited JCC was weird.  The number I was given must have been wrong because I held on the line forever...I hung up and redialed a few times trying to make sure I was dialing right.  I listened to horrible music while considering the possibility that maybe this was a scientific experiment to see how long a student would wait.  I used my other phone to call up the school and figure out what was going on.  After dealing with one very nice but unhelpful person (about three or four times), I was finally on the line with them after they called me.  I'm not really sure what the point of the call was though.  It reminded me of work where people ask general questions that don't reveal much of anything at all.  Also, the students who I could hear talking all seemed to like easy courses.  I hate easy courses; they're insulting and boring.

It wasn't the best day but it wasn't the worst. 

I can't believe it's almost time to fill out college applications.  The idea fills me with dread!

No comments:

Post a Comment