Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Endless "Education"

Tonight I saw both my brothers for the first time in a long time.  My oldest little brother is back from 14 months in Australia.  He gave me a bracelet he picked up on his trip to Bali.  My youngest brother is a sophomore at MSU's James Madison and he is kicking butt.  I watched them both force feed themselves "Endless Pasta" because they're always trying to put on more muscle mass.  

Anyway, I was seven minutes late to dinner and when I came in I saw one of my favorite teachers from high school.  His dark brown hair has gone gray, and he's shaved his beard, but I recognized him instantly.  About five years ago, during the busy Christmas shopping season, I ran into him at Meijer.  This time I avoided him completely.  The idea of him asking me what I was up to was too excruciating to consider. What would I have said?  "Well, I'm at JCC (Yes, I really have been going to school for that long), and I'm working a dead end job that I have no interest in."  Yes, I could have said that, but I didn't want to tell my favorite teacher -- a teacher who I worked my ass off for -- that ten years after graduating high school my life was just a disappointment. 

So far this semester, school is painfully dull and underwhelming.  I am learning things in Geology, but that's it.  I'm hoping Art History turns out to be worthwhile because otherwise this semester is going to drag on forever in the worst way.  At first I couldn't figure out why my communications class seemed so easy and so pointless.  Then, when I started listening to my classmates, I realized that it really seems as though I'm in class with middle school students.  This lack of intellectual maturity actually seems to make it worse considering that so far the only comments our topics receive are shallow and non reflective.  

Sometimes I start thinking about the holes in the bottom of my running shoes, and the medicals bills that need to be paid, and the oil that needs to be changed, and I grow really frustrated with how much I pay for classes that leave me feeling like I'm still in junior high.  Yet, I am not going to blow it off; I am going to be patient and try, try, try, try, to learn something or help my classmates with their learning experience.  The very least I can do is mix things up a bit since everyone else seem to share the same underdeveloped and unsubstantiated opinions.  It's weird; anytime I'm in a course where I'm not learning anything, I always want to take on the role of teacher. Someday, I know I will spend less time going through the motions of getting an education, and spend more time actually learning.  

Oh yeah--I joined Phi Theta Kappa.  So. . . goodbye $80.00 I'll never have back.  I hope I made a wise decision.   

No comments:

Post a Comment